Sunday, April 4, 2010

happy easter!

I woke up in the wee hours of the morning to make easter cupcakes. I found my inspiration in one of my favorite crafty baking books, Hello Cupcake by Karen Tack and Alan Richardson.



I settled upon the design called "Rabbit Holes." The directions seemed pretty clear and I already had a lot of the candy needed, which was a major plus! One odd thing was that the directions called for white circus peanuts, which apparently do not exist anywhere, only at some obscure online retailer. I bought orange circus peanuts instead and dipped them in white chocolate (which I thinned out a little bit with shortening after my chick pop experience).

Here are the fruits of my labor:
P4040022

For the toes, the book called for chocolate covered sunflower seeds. I used mini chocolate chips instead.

Here is a closeup of the "grassy" cupcakes. I originally piped the frosting to look like grass, but it was too soft and got all droopy. (I bought "whipped" frosting by mistake). Luckily, I had some shredded coconut that saved the day and looked like grass.
P4040021

The whole process of baking, decorating, and clean up took about three hours. And by cleanup, I mean putting almost everything in the dishwasher!!!

P4040019

Happy Easter!

3 comments:

  1. These are seriously the cutest cupcakes ever. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog through the Skip to my Lou Blog Frog forum. Have you seen that the author's came out with a new book? It's called "What's New, Cupcake?" I have yet to order it, but Hello Cupcake is one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, I just got the book last week as a gift and I'm so in love with it! I'm going to post pictures of the cupcakes that I made from it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete